Automating Your Digital World: How to Build an IT Automation Strategy
By Nichaela Williams
We’re kicking off 2021 strong and appreciate your continued readership in our Q1 blog series! Infrastructure automation
is what we do and we’re optimistic that this six-part series (each post representing a letter in our name “P-L-I-A-N-T”)
will bring clarity to questions around where to start to gain new IT efficiencies within your organization, which tools
might be right for you to streamline delivery, and how to maximize your ROI in new tools.
We’re moving on to “I” so buckle up and prepare for liftoff!
Do all the inner workings of your company sometimes seem like a mess of oddly connected gears that just won’t turn?
Getting every individual piece to work 100% of the time can be difficult, especially if you do everything by hand. With
infrastructure automation, you can automate tasks that you find yourself working on over and over again, saving you time
and lessening stress. By automating your digital world with a platform, like Pliant, you’ll find your gears turning a
lot more smoothly.
In this post:
- IT Automation Strategy
- Automation Made Easy, with Pliant
- Industry-Specific Services
- Get Started
IT Automation Strategy
In general, high-value, repetitive tasks should be automated. Some questions to consider when picking the tasks within
your infrastructure to automate include the following:
- How much time does this actually save us in the long run? Does each run-time take hours or days?
- How often does this task need to be done? Once a month? Twice a day?
- How long will it take to create the automation? See below for how Pliant makes this part of the process faster.
- Would automating this task lead to less tech debt? If the process of completing a task is made easier via
automation, it can lead to less technical debt in the future.
- Will we have to make changes to this system in the future? Automating tasks as opposed to doing them manually
means that changes can be made more efficiently.
- Will consolidating this to one platform location be beneficial the next time this task needs to be completed?
- How valuable will it be if this task can adapt itself and run without human intervention?
Answering these questions prior to building automation is helpful to ensure smart resource allocation and to find the
right infrastructure automation tool to get the job done.
Automation Made Easy, with Pliant
Pliant Automation not only saves you time on high-value, repetitive tasks, it is also quicker to use than building
automation from scratch. Pliant is a low-code-no-code platform that uses coding blocks to replace lines and lines of
scriptwriting by hand. In addition to this, Pliant has a low barrier to entry, meaning that we’ve made our platform easy
to learn and start using. Low barriers + Low code = Faster time to automation.
For more on this, see Low Barriers + Low Code: The Keys to Infrastructure Automation.
Our team is also committed to making automation simple. Our simple user interface includes Overview and ROI dashboards
that provide information on past flows. These, in addition to our built-in debugger and hundreds of thousands of API
calls in the form of action blocks, make your automation experience faster and easier.
It’s quite intuitive that companies of different industries have different requirements of an IT infrastructure
automation platform. The definition of the word “pliant” is something that is prepared to readily adjust to different
conditions. Picking a tool that provides a solution specific to your needs, based on industry or use-case, is
to success. For example, we’ve developed a platform specific to global enterprise as well as financial services: